Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Thomas Adès’s The Tempest

Thomas Adès’s
The Tempest
I only dropped in on met opera for a few minutes last night, believing I was too tired to watch, but thought, even having Renee Fleming walk across the stage and to hear her tell me what was going on last night would be soul-satisfying.

Indeed, I don’t remember now who was introducing the show – but I can describe the pearl necklace that was being worn by the presenter.

Even better, she was announcing Thomas Adès’s The Tempest. The opening scene with Ariel hanging from that chandelier over a ranging storm, caught me. And the unusual music – I just kept listening, trying to name the interval, looking for repetition of the phrases, listening to the high G’s and F’s being sung, and oh my, the new libretto.

Delicious.

I watched to the end.

Thanks metopera.org.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.