Thursday, May 28, 2020

One new hip = 7 physio visits

Catherine purchased this Troll for me.
It reminded her of me.
Wikipedia says trolls are rarely helpful to humans.
Of course that makes me laugh.
No wonder -- look at the arthritis in her fingers and toes!
Since everything has changed about the way that health care is delivered, and since I had my operation back in January, and since I had 3 months in which I had to access the 7 physio visits that new hip that patients get, I thought I had lost out on that service.

But I got a phone call saying that the 7 “physio-visit-gift” is still on, if I began to access it before June.

I am not watching the calendar close enough to even know what month I am in anymore, sometimes scrambling through the pages of my daybook back in April or even February and wondering where those days even went to.

But when I got the call from the South Health Clinic to access physio, I picked the phone right up to make an appointment.

The nurse suggested the clinic on 14th Avenue, since it is close to my house.

I have visited Physiotherapist Shaleen Kaur in the Bowness Centre, but it is an hour bus ride to get there.

However, in these days, the physio comes to make a home visit through Zoom, so the nature of the visit is changed.

I take my handouts and get them close to the camera so she can see which of the exercises I am doing.

I tilt the screen so that she can watch me walk and see how pronounced my limp is and have her tell me how to fix that.

I tell her that I have not figure out how to do the Reverse Clam Shell and tilt my upper hip, as the instructions say I should.

So she goes to the front desk, locks the clinic door, brings the front desk receptionist to the back to hold the camera so that Shaleen can be seen, and then she gets up on a bed in the clinic and demonstrates Reverse Clam Shell.

This seems strange to me, for some reason – never having seen a procedure like this before, but it works. In fact, it was inspiring. She made me write down which exercises I am to do during the week, telling me 4 sets, 10 each time, rest every other two days. And then she asks if I got that. If I didn’t, I have it written down, so I am OK. And my home physio workout seemed to leap ahead this week. Thinking about the whole session, there was an odd moment when she moved in close to the camera and I got an extreme close-up of her face and I thought, now I would never have had that view in the real world. Not that closeness. The physio felt so good today, I would like to do a little more of it, but there is some danger in doing too much, so I resist … until tomorrow.

Just sign me Zoom Physio Grandmother.

2 comments:

  1. this is awesome. it is making me think lots about how to deliver online education

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about this as well, since I have been to Zoom Church, Zoom Relief Society, Zoom Newsletter Meeting and Zoom Physio. I have been thinking about the different styles of delivery. One one one. A meeting of three. A meeting of 20. All of this is awkward. Did you notice on the "Talk with Good Companions" with Carey Newman, that Shelagh Rogers took some time to explain the background behind her. And she wanted people to know that the box that seemed to be filled with alcohol, was really the holding station for a great set of Indigenous books which she held up for us to see (including the Summary of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission}. I recognized the cover having read the book, not once but twice, both times giving it a close reading. For sure I felt closer to her, knowing it was in a box where she could quickly find it.

    I didn't start out to say that! I started out to say that there have to be some classes about how to do this. Online ones. Have you seen any? Or is this just forging ahead the new way. At the Zoom Relief Society meeting some people knew how to use the comment box. Oh, there is another meeting I went to: Zoom Townhall with My Doctor. I admired them. Pretty rough. They are used to one on one and now the clinic was telling everyone basic info that they might get on a one-on-one visit, as well as taking questions on the side. Brave, since they are trained as medical professionals and not actors.

    Re background. I am worrying about it. I have tried the background where you pick your own picture behind you, but there is a ghostly film around my white hair when I move. I tried using my book case, but I had to get down low and it was excruciatingly uncomfortable. Looked good though. OK. Twenty-seven minutes to my next physio appointment. I must get ready on my side. I am just forgetting about giving her a nice background. I am hearing other teachers say that in delivering online education they are seeking different settings: getting into intimate places in households -- bedrooms, or sitting in a stair wells.

    I guess there are books going to be written about this.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.