Friday, May 8, 2020

From Ceilidh: For a Strong Woman and Gracious Role model on her 80th Birthday


Over the years, you have always been a captivating person to me.

 I could never truly tell if it was your warm smile, loving nature, or just the fact that I think you are extraordinarily awesome!

It's cheesy, but truly how I feel.

One of my favorite things about you is your determination to always get to the finish line.

I can quite clearly remember a few years back, where I got to spend some time, just you and I, out in BC. It's one of my favorite memories of you.

We would both get up and 7:00 am, you going for your morning 10,000 steps, and me out to fish with Art and Gabe.

Every morning, you would get up, and not get back to the house until you felt you had finished going on your walk, despite the recent hip replacement.

Sitting down to watch Suits with you. Often we would find ourselves dozing off, and knew it was time for a nap.

For the next two weeks this would go on, plus the surplus of butterhorns and brownies for us to eat.

Another of my favorite memories is when I was quite young. When you would bring Dalton and I to the movie theater to catch many different shows. From Plays to Operas, and maybe the odd ballet here or there.

 What I truly remember from this, was how proud I was to be with you.

All the other ladies said how much they wish their Grand kids would come to the theatre with them.

I was proud, because I was there with my Grandma.

 I often had no idea what was going on on the screen, and I'm sure you had to put up with the odd shenanigan, but watching wasn't the point for me, it was being with family, to get to be around you. 

You have alwasy been a strong role model for me. You have shown me that even at 80 years old, as long as you have determination and will-power you can do anything you put your mind to (even pull trees out of the ground).

Without a doubt, you are one of the strongest women I know, and I am proud to be your Granddaughter.

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to an amazing grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to watch this video but could not get it to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wyona, the video is at another link.

    https://larchhaven.blogspot.com/2020/05/80-years-in-pictures-for-arta.html

    Besides this one, a video came from Catie in Czechoslovakia, and a birthday song from everyone. Perhaps someone with great technical skills will post them up on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the lovely blog post, Ceilidh. Lots of words! Thank you. I liked remembering that you got up early to go fishing. Why not! The boat ride is fun and if a person happens to catch a fish, all the better. Just a tug on the line can be fun.
    For me it seems common place that a granddaughter can walk down a few houses and then go out with an uncle and cousins in another family. We are lucky to have that little space at the Shuswap.

    When you mentioned the brownies, a frown came across my face. That is because I have been thinking about making a pan just for me, but haven't done it. I want a pan put before me right now. Maybe that is what I will do at my break, for that is how fast we could make them out there. I has forgotten that when we finished one pan we made another. And so forth.

    When you were little and came to the cabin, you had both your maternal and paternal grandmothers there. Shirley love watching you as much as I did.

    I was thinking about that since you could remember that "going with grandmother" somewhere was special.

    Today Richard and I were thinking about what kind of niches are going to open up, so that people can start new businesses. I could only think of one where you get to bring your own grandchild to an opera. It would be easy to sell that idea to people, from our experience of people watching us -- the one of ancient days, shepherding little ones to their seats. And the deep desire in them, enough to tell us, "I wish that were me."

    You must have reached adulthood, for you called the wiggles, squirms and whispers shenanigans. Yes, little bodies aren't trained to get a lot out of the deeper part of the opera. I think it is worth it, though I might be alone for why weren't the people who were wishing their grandchildren were there, making it possible. Sometimes I think the thought just hasn't entered people's heads about how much fun that can be.

    It was a grand event for me! I loved it.

    Further thanks for post the picture of the high to Sicamous, starting at the Pilling beach. Another event that is burned into my memory as being a fabulous tiome.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.