Sunday, May 10, 2020

For Arta's 80th birthday May 8 and Mother's Day May 10, 2020.

Based on a Christmas Letter
December 25, 2017
Montreal

Dear Arta,

I first met you 27 years ago when I travelled to Calgary with Catherine to meet her family for the first time. Back then you were younger than I am now, which gives pause for thought. My antics at the time were to blunder into faux pas, such as “I feel frisky under the table”, and “I’m hot by the fire”; but I really didn’t understand that I was beginning a friendship with you that would last for the next 27 years (whoever thinks of things like that when they are young, foolish, in medical school, and falling in love?).

I’ve been remiss in never having expressed my gratitude for the many great things you have done for me, and our family, over the course of these years.

First, how can I ever repay you for the gift of your daughter, Catherine, who has been my friend, companion and the joy of my life? I can hardly remember what life was like without her being a part of it.

Second, there was adopting Catie. You were there with all your vast experience teaching me to wrap her up in a blanket and hold her on one of my arms – do you remember that? And you supported us through those first few days of adjustment, and walked with Catie in the basement as she cried for hours with colic. Those times seem so long ago now!

And you have always been so ready to help at all times and seasons. When Cathy was bedridden with the twins, you came to help us during a crucial month. That the twins arrived at all was really in great measure due to you and the others who helped us. So I thank you twice over for the twins – for bringing their mother into the world and for helping to get them here as well.

You are always so ready to talk, listen and discuss such a variety of topics. I remember those early telephone calls, which have been replaced by e-mail messages that have been briefer but not less meaningful and appreciated.

How could I ever forget those hours spent playing the “word game,” as we called it? You were clever at guessing and describing words, but also at putting into the hat (or bowl) some of the most difficult teasers to ruffle the opposing team. One of the toughest ones I remember was Gianduja, which none of us understood on the first few frustrating passes. More recently were tough ones like zambone (not zamboni).

Meeting up with us in Paris in 2010 has always stood out in our family memory. We have dozens of photos that you took in rapid sequence that, if we sift through them quickly, appear almost like a motion picture. And there you are again at the Eiffel Tower or walking the streets of medieval Provins with us. The chainmail head covering was especially dramatic.

The way you share your talents with your family, and especially your grandchildren, has left a mark on every recipient of your generosity. The butter horns, waffles, cinnamon buns, pancakes, chocolates, and so many other delicacies seem to multiply themselves under your touch. It makes every trip to Larch Haven a magical moment for the children.

Tending to Kelvin during his final days was not an easy task, but it gave Catherine great comfort to know you were there. Thank you for this most sacred charity.

And we come to this autumn-winter visit, and the Christmas season, and we are back again to 27 years ago, with the snow and the decorations and the carols springing from voices and musical instruments. Your influence this year has been a profound one as you have helped in any way you could. You have been spoiling us in the most “grandmotherly” of fashions – the kind of treatment that will become the stuff of legend in our family book of lore. And I have enjoyed singing with you in choirs and hearing your reassuring kindness to our friends who are suffering and struggling.

So, thank you for the gifts you have given all these years, and I hope that our lives will be enriched by your wisdom and grace for 27 more.

With love and appreciation,

Eric


1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.