Monday, May 25, 2020

A Wee TIA Event.

Report from Wyona 
... before leaving for the lake ...
... modelling my reptile pin ...

I am at Shuswap with Greg, Zoe, Lurene and family, and Marcia and family.

Covid 19 has brought us all out to the lake.

I have been weeding with Zoe and we all have been keeping busy.

On May 14th, all were sleeping all snug in their beds but I am up in the loft sewing while sitting on a chair and watching TV at 1:00 a.m.

All of a sudden I find myself bent over from the waiste down. I can remember nothing. I raised my torso but it took a number of times before I could sit up. Then I was disoriented, dizzy and my head was going around and around. My vision was blurred. It took me a few seconds to get it together so I sat there ‘till I quit spinning. Then I felt the side of my face and it was numb. I turned off the TV and lights and walked downstairs leaning against the wall and using the rail. I sat on the bed, my face was numb and things were not right.

I remembered Arta having had a stroke but I felt OK except the left side of my face was numb. Wondered if I should just go to bed but I was afraid I might not wake up again so I poked Greg, woke him up and told him something was not right and would he phone the Health Line for me. The person on the health line told me to phone 911 and get to the hospital. I asked her if my husband could drive me. She asked me how far away I was and I told her 20 minutes. She just said, ‘…get to the hospital’.

... Annis Siding ...
... the trees haven't leafed out yet ...
Grabbed my phone and purse and beat Greg out to the car.

I did send Greg downstairs to tell Lurene where we were going but Lurene was asleep so Greg told Marcia where we were going.

When we arrived at Emergency in Salmon Arm I was the only one there.

We had to ring a bell to get inside. The receptionist took my blood pressure, 170 over ninety. She asked me if I was dizzy, did I lose my sight etc. She told me since by blood pressure was not over 200 there was no need to rush. I moved to a different spot where someone came and took me into the emergency room with other beds. I was hooked up to a monitor and someone came down to take blood and do an EKG. The Dr. came in after that and told me I was going to stay until morning when they could do a CT scan.

At that point in time Greg had my purse in the waiting room and my phone was dead. The nurse brought me a phone to call Greg and I told him to go home but I wanted my purse with his phone in it. It took a while for my purse to come and I guess Greg left.

I was laying on a skinny bed with the sides up and just one flat pillow. At home I sleep with seven assorted pillows. I asked for a round pillow and the nurse looked at me like I was crazy. So I just asked for another blanket/sheet and I rolled it up for under my head and used my skinny pillow folded over for my left arm. It wasn’t long before the nurse brought me two cups with pills in them. The first two pills I had to chew and the nurse told me they tasted terrible. I thought they tasted like ‘tutti fruiti”. Then I had to swallow two pills before laying down. The blood pressure monitor was fixed to my arm and went off often. It was tight and hurt. No sleep in the emergency room.

The Dr. called my episode a TIA or Transient Ischemic attach/mini stroke.

... Teague after a morning fishing trip with Gabe ...
So, you don’t sleep very well at night. There is a blood pressure thing on your arm. In the morning, an intravenous for a CT scan. They just wheel you in, the nurse tells you, they inject fluid into the tube. Then in 15 seconds you will taste garlic, then it is hot, you think you will pee, but you won’t. I asked her for a depends just in case. The machine tells one to breathe in and breathe out. It feels creepy. Right down your body, and hot.

After the CT Scan results came back the Dr. came in and asked do you smoke, do you drink. It shows you have emphysema. This is more than once that I have been told that. I was told it before I got my C-Pap machine. In Ottawa I couldn’t breathe and I had a puffer during the day and a different one for the night then used it less and less. When I went to the hospital once for an operation, I told the Dr. I had a puffer but didn’t have it with me. Then the Dr. got very mad when I didn’t have it with me and got me one. So I didn’t tell anyone after that since I don’t want any Dr. mad at me.

... a butterfly stops for a moment at the lake ...
About a year ago, I was getting bad cramps in my legs, so I stopped Crestor and started Omega 3. Dr. said I have to go back on a different ‘statin (Crestor).

It must have been a shift change that woke me up because things were very noisy in my space.

I looked at the breakfast in the hospital. It was white porridge, milk, a cup of coffee, you open up the hot plate and it was 2 pieces of toast, 1 white egg poached in water. I ate the egg, I ate a couple of bites of the strawberry soggy toast.

When we got out of the hospital, I needed to get water, I was so thirsty, so we went to Walmart to get water and medicine for me prescribed by the Dr., and embroidery floss for Lurene. She wants to do some cross stitch. Covid is on and everyone is cross-stitching. Lurene found a pattern, and it is all the buildings in Bulgaria. Everyone has to have a cross stitch that suits them. Marcia’s was all of the holidays in the year.

... looking north from Richard and Miranda's lot ...
I still wanted to ask the Dr. about my aorta. I wanted to have one better than Glen’s for he says his is perfect, but no one would talk about that with me.

When I had Zoe in Brussels, the Dr. saw my legs and said ‘why doesn’t she have pressure socks on for I had varicose veins’. So I had a pair of those socks brought to me to put on that instant.I wore them for a long time. That Dr. wouldn’t do anything without me having those socks on.

Greg came to get me in the morning.

The hospital had called before I got home.

I have to go back to the hospital on June 3 for EKG and Holter Monitor testing and some time when I get back to Calgary I should think of a pulmonary test she said.

A neurologist from Kamloops has already been in touch with me. Things move fast.

As a side story, when I was little, I would turn blue and Doral and Wyora would take me to the hospital. Then Apostle Lyman came to Calgary and gave me a blessing, and turning blue never happened again. Later Apostle Lyman was excommunicated. So now, maybe the blessing has stopped.

... the spring view from Doral and Anita's porch ...
Sometimes emphysema doesn’t exhibit itself until your 40’s or 50s the nurse said.

So now I have 3 weeks of blood thinners and then more tests.

Once you have a TIA, it is serious.

I feel fine now except now I can use a mini stroke as a reason for different behavior patterns of mine.

Wyona

2 comments:

  1. I love the pin! and Teague with the fish. and the beautiful photos of the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Concerning the pin? I think anyone who says that they love something of Wyona's should get first dibs on it when she doesn't want it anymore. But of course, it is she who shall say that.

    And the pics? I took a trip into Richard's photos and tried to bring a sense of the calm environment in which Wyona had her TIA storm, or as she puts it, "a recent wee tia event".

    As well, I watched the recent "save" that Des posted on her facebook page and then tried to copy and paste it into an email, but when I click on the link, it runs the video after that -- the Wood Family singing Happy Birthday to Marcia. But I don't want that! I want the saved from the tide video, since Moiya, David Wood and I all experienced that last summer on your island -- your great big Vancouver Island.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.