Saturday, May 16, 2020

Woody Guthrie’s “Race You Down the Mountain"

Nursery Days, originally released as 
Songs to Grow on, Volume One: Nursery Days, 
is an album of a collection of children's songs 
by American Folk singer Woody Guthrie.
For half a year, Richard has been singing “Race You Down the Mountain” to his children with an infinite variety of variations: I’ll race you to the bushes, I see myself a huffin, I’ll race you to the stream, let’s rest beside the waters, I’ll race you to the big rock, … where isn’t there a place children want to race if they think they can beat their father there.

Or their grandmothers.

I tried to learn the song and I was stumped – the first refrain is sung to a different melody each time it is repeated.

It was only this week, on playing it on the keyboard that the tune clicked for me. The third refrain has under it the D7th chord and not the G Major chord and that made all the difference for me.

A big yes to a springtime where this song is sung.

If you like, give it a try here – accompanied by the harmonica.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. Hi Arta - this record is on the folkways smithsonian label (folkways being my grandfather's label). Here are a couple of links:

    the record: https://folkways.si.edu/woody-guthrie/nursery-days/american-folk-childrens/music/album/smithsonian

    the liner notes: https://folkways-media.si.edu/liner_notes/smithsonian_folkways/SFW45036.pdf

    Thanks for the great post! Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi back Jess amd what a great song it is. I will go look at the liner notes. That will be fun for me. As well, what a musical gift to have these songs collected on your grandfather's label. Now there is a heritage moment to point to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the verses is a little different in the liner notes. "I see myself a huffin' / a huffin' and a puffin' / I see myself a huffin' / We'll see who gets there first.

    What I like about that verse is that it acknowledges how out of breath little children can get when racing. Sometimes so out of breath that they just drop to the grass, arms outstretched, waiting to recover. Oh, let's face it. I love playing with children.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.