Thursday, May 28, 2020

An Obscene Amount of food

Richard is not tempted to eat even one slice.
“That is an obscene amount of food for one person,” Richard said when he delivered my groceries from his run for them to Costco.

Not knowing how to shop the isles at any other store, he is right about the way I give my lists to him. I give him Costco Lists.

Cucumbers come in packages of three, assorted peppers come six to a bag, milk is in 4 litre jugs, onions in 3 or 5 pound bags.

“I know I can’t eat all of this,” I said.

“And now that sharing is really out, I have to figure out how to make what used to be vegetables, into something I consider a snack or a delicious dessert.

Hard work.

I am trying to use up everything in my freezer. When the pork chops got uncovered today there were 8 in the package. Another number bigger than usual.

Richard occasionally comes to or brings dinner to my house., and tonight when we cooked, there was enough for him for lunch, which makes me happy. We have a quiet meal. He always asks what was the best part of my day. If I tell him, then he gets way ahead of me on eating. The best part of my day was eating my lunch on the back patio, a large salad bowl in my lamp, The New Yorker in my hands, and the warm sun on my back. A triplet of happinesses.

... close up of elephant head on serving board ...
I just can't help myself.
Even in COVID times, and even if I am alone

I like to eat on beautiful dishes.
I don’t want waste even the core of an apple and sometimes wonder what todo with the top of a red pepper when I take it off, although I know the answer is nothing.

I have learned how to peel kiwis to get perfectly rounded fruit and then put on a plate.

He wasn’t tempted by one slice. I was surprised, though not really.

I feel the same way about grapes.

I think this is my salute to beautiful food, fit for a king – even better than that for it doesn’t require a whole household in the kitchen to prepare it.

Oh yes, when we divided up the food order between the three of us, Richard, Mati and me, it doesn’t appear that everything was mine.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. steve wonders how come none of us kids knew that all we needed to make you happy was get you a subscription to the New Yorker?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good question? When all of my kids have thought about what would make me happy, I wonder what they would have said.

    To speak to The New Yorker, I would never have spent that much money on myself -- though I don't know why. I am not adverse to buying books and I wouldn't flinch if the bill were in the multiple of hundreds. Anyway, Steve did hit the mark with The New Yorker, and it even came with a bag which I am a little afraid to use in case someone sees it and thinks I am uppity. What they should think when anyone has a bag like this is "how lucky they are to have available such thought-provoking and sometimes politically devastating to read". Plus, it always reviews movies, books, the latest art exhibits, everything I would like to read or see, but which is impossible, even without COVID-19.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.